As the temperature rises outside our homes, the energy bills start rolling in higher than they usually are. In order to keep our energy bills at bay, we need to make our homes as energy efficient as possible. This can be quite challenging because beginning to look for places to reduce energy can be difficult.
So where should we start?
With the help of the best Dallas local electricians, we achieved great insights about the typical amounts of energy consumed by home systems, electronics, and appliances. This is exactly what we’ll be sharing with you in this article. As a result, you will be able to curb all the added costs of electricity in your home.
Dallas local electricians measure the usage of electricity in KWh or kilowatt per hour. When they calculate the usage of electrical systems or appliances, they simply multiply the day kilowatt per hour (mentioned on the system or appliance) to the daily usage.
That being said, let’s delve into the energy consumption of daily electrical items in home and energy conservation tips from Dallas local electricians.
What Uses the Most Electricity According to Dallas Local Electricians
1. Air Conditioners and Heating
As air conditioners are your main sources of comfort from the scalding hot temperatures on the outside, these HVAC systems tend to use the most energy. Dallas local electricians reported that air conditioning systems account for as much as 46% of all the energy consumption in homes. Did you know that as much as 3500 watts are used by air conditioning systems at least 2 or 3 times in just 15 minutes?
Imagine how much these air conditioning systems consume in a day – and for the sake of your utility bill, image how much they consume in a month! This is why Dallas local electricians advise homeowners to the following instead:
- Use ceiling fans
- Turn air conditioning thermostats to 78 F
- Get regular maintenance checkups
- Draw the curtains during warm hours of the day
- Replace the air filters of your HVAC
2. Water Heating
Another commonly used appliance in most homes is the water heater. Dallas local electricians reported that these systems constituted to about 14% of all the energy consumption of homes. Typically, water heaters tend to consume 4500 watts in the maximum usage of 3 hours per day.
So if you wish to reduce your water heater’s energy consumption, electrical consumption experts advise homeowners to:
- Set the temperatures of the water heaters to 120 F or anywhere lower
- If you have an older water heater, then you can wrap it with an insulation jacket.
- Insulate the hot water pipes in the system
- Turn down the water when you aren’t going to be around
All the usual home appliances account for 13% of every homeowner’s utility bill. These home appliances include:
The average refrigerator uses up to 225 watts on a daily basis – that is if you keep the refrigerator running all day. We have to assume so because most homeowners cannot turn off their refrigerators or decrease their usage. Even though this is the case, Dallas local electricians have found a couple of methods to decrease their individual impact on utility bills.
- Don’t overload these refrigerators
- Keep most or all of the used-products in the most accessible areas
- Arrange the contents of the refrigerator to provide for maximum efficiency
- Set the temperature of the refrigerator to the recommended setting as advised by the manufacturers
- Regularly maintain and clean the various parts of your refrigerator
b) Washer and Dryers
Collectively, washers and dryers use about 5% of the entire home’s energy. Cumulatively, these appliances use as much as 3045 watts if they are used at the average 1 hour per day. Laundries, on the other hand, use up close to the same and Dallas local electricians recommend optimizing these appliances for energy conservation as well. This can be done by:
- Clear the lint in the washers and dryers after extracting every load
- Use drying racks and lines whenever it is possible
- Avoid filling these machines to the brim
- Wash the load using cold water
c) Electric Ovens and Stoves
Dallas local electricians found that, when used at medium heat, ovens used up 2500 watts of energy. Stoves, on the other hand, used 1500 watts if it is used for a minimum of 1 hour per day. Ovens particularly tend to also increase the overall warmth in the home – which then results in over pressurizing the air conditioner. So how can homeowners reduce these effects on their utility bill?
- Choose to use toaster ovens, slow cookers or microwaves instead of electric ovens or stoves
- Use stoves and ovens during coolers hours of the day
- Don’t preheat the oven unless it is absolutely necessary for a meal to cook properly
- Turn off all the burners for a few minutes before the meal is ready and let the residual heat rest
On average, dishwashers can use up to 330 watts if they are used for an hour every day. This is another appliance that will cause a home to heat up when it is being used and hence affect how hard the AC is working. The following tips can be used to reduce the residual and primary energy use of this appliance.
- Pre-rinse all the dished that are heavily soiled in order to prevent the need for 2ndcycles
- Wash the dishes during cooler hours of the day
- Turn of the appliance’s ‘heated dry’ feature
- Wash full loads with no wasted space
If you follow all the above-mentioned tips, you will successfully be able to save considerably on your utility bill. You can even call Dallas local electricians for regular maintenance and inspections to optimize energy usage.
Don’t Know Who To Call?
Electric Pros offer teams qualified and professional electricians that will be ready to provide their services 24/7 – whether it is regular inspection or an emergency. Visit our website to find out more or call 972-392-7767 to find out more.