Information About the Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark District
Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark District
This landmark will forever be remembered for the assassination of the president of the time known as John F. Kennedy in the year 1963, this historical landmark provides an interesting insight into this era of history.
In 1993, this area was recognized and named one of the National Historic Landmarks to preserve streets, structures and buildings, which went onto be identified as possible locations for the assassin.
The Dealey Plaza was constructed on the land which was donated by Sarah Horton Cockrell and early Dallas businesswoman and philanthropist. It was also the location for the very first house that was built in Dallas, and later became the first store, post office, courthouse and the very 1st fraternal lodge.
It is some cases known as the “Birthplace of Dallas”. Completed in the year 1940 as a WPA project on the western edge of downtown Dallas. It was this location where 3 streets converge, that passed under the railroad bridge which was locally known as the “triple underpass.”
The Dealey Plaza was named after George. Bannerman. Dealey, born in 1859 and died in 1946. He was a well-known civic leader as well as one of the first publishers for “The Dallas Morning News.” The monuments that outline this plaza serve the role of honoring President John F. Kennedy and early prominent Dallas residents. The monument that honors President Kennedy can be found 1 block away in a cenotaph form.
The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
The Dealey -Plaza is bound on the north, east and south sides by 30+m tall buildings. One of these buildings was the previous “Texas School Book Depository”, from where both the “House Select Committee on Assassinations” and the “Warren Commission” came to the conclusion that Lee. Harvey. Oswald was the person that fired the shot that killed the president.
Today this plaza is still visited by many daily visitors and tourists. The 6th Floor Museum is now housed in the top 2 floors of this 7-story former “Book Depository.” Since the year 1989, this museum has been visited by over 6 million people.
Tourists to the plaza today will still see the street signs and street lights that were in operation in 1963. However, a few have been removed or moved to other locations. The buildings the surround the plaza, have not undergone any changes since 1963, which represents a definite contrast in comparison to the ultra-modern and chic Dallas skyline behind it.
Over the last 50 years, Elm Street has undergone resurfacing many times, while street-lane stripes and sidewalk lamp-posts have either been added or moved. Hedges, bushes, and trees have grown, with a few traffic-sign locations which have also been removed, relocated or changed.
In the late part of 2003, the city approved the project plans for construction to restore the Plaza to how it appeared on the 22 November 1963. By 2004, voters had already approved the $500,000 out of the $3,000,000 required, by 2008, the 1st phase of the restoration was completed were $700,000 was spent on plumbing and repair work along the Houston Streets.
Read Next: Nasher Sculpture Center